Monday 15 August 2016

Captive Market

Maternity clothes, that is.

I'm aware how there is so much more choice nowadays compared to the matronly tents of years gone by (thank you, please). It is also doubtful that it'll be like-for-like with high street shops or websites for choice any time soon. It's just that you obviously only require maternity clothes for the set amount of time you grow the human; so you're automatically a captive market because you need their stuff...Unless you find the elusive unitard/sack to wear continuously for 9 months. Or be nude. Or alternate between the two, sure.

Why are maternity clothes so ruddy expensive though? I keep a crafty eye on asos maternity as they by far have the largest range of mama-to-be clothes. I've done my little hauls when there's a sale as I don't want to be paying over the odds for something that I can't wear once bab is here. Although I'll park that idea if the waistband lets me eat everything, a la Joey Tribbiani in Phoebe's maternity trousers.

The best analogy I can think of is that it's like when you're on a road trip and you stop at a service station; you only want a ham sandwich, but that will cost you £9 because it's the only sandwich that fits you. You know? Sandwiches...maternity wear, it's one and the same...

Well I bought multiple ham sandwiches over the weekend. Ooopsy.

In my defence it was the sale and I was also buying things that I can definitely just get large and in charge in. Some off-season AW16 garments slipped into my basket ready for those cold pregnant nights too. But hey. Who doesn't need two polo necks when we're in the middle of a small UK heatwave?! Because I certainly know I do!

Will put up my asos haul in another post once I've tried them all on and decided that yes, I definitely need these snakeskin Chelsea boots. They offset the growing bump so well #struggledtostayontask.

Talking of bumps, I am now at week 25's #bumpingalong and I'm in all the maternity today (no new items here). It's my denim shirt from Topshop in a size 10 used cleverly as a bump highlighter and the grey dress which was one of the first maternity bits I bought as it had good room to grow into. I wasn't wrong! Dress also from Topshop and in a size 10.
Pale and interesting from the knees down
Jazzy heel was originally paired with this look because I felt a bit slouchy and sleepy, and then I realised I'm pregnant and flats are my friends. So out came the flip flops from the handbag mid-commute. And looking at the photo, apparently my shins didn't see any sunlight whilst away. Don't look too closely at the lower limbs though, as you can see the nursery paint I seem to have missed whilst showering. Evidently bending forward is getting trickier despite my best efforts.

Can't believe we're 25 weeks now. 13 to go. Almost game time!

X
SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig